There are lots of great reasons to carpool. You can save money, help keep the air clean, keep miles off your car, reduce stress and take cars off the road — just by sharing the ride with one other person. So, let’s go!
Simply register with RideshareKC then enter the details of your daily commute. You’ll be matched with potential carpool partners.
If you carpool regularly, you can register for the Guaranteed Ride Home program, which provides a free taxi cab ride home from work in case of emergency.
Tips to create a successful carpool:
- If this is a new carpool, suggest a getting-to-know-you meetup at a public place, like a coffee shop.
- Decide which days you want to carpool and if you’ll take turns driving. If one person does most of the driving, decide on the amount and method of reimbursement. The Federal Standard Mileage Rate is a good place to start.
- Talk about where your carpool will meet. Park and ride lots can make great meeting places.
- Decide on some ground rules around smoking, musical preferences and food and drinks in the car.
- Communicate! Share your contact information and make sure you alert your carpool if you have a change in plans.
- Be sure to check your insurance policy to make sure carpool members are covered.
- Be flexible, considerate and patient. Plans change, and you may need to adapt.